June 15, 2013 – Hive Inspection (Day 36)
This morning we had our first inspection in 2 weeks. The girls have looked good from the outside. Still uneven activity with Yellow Hive 2 (YH2) appearing much more populated and busy. But Green Hive 1 (GH1) has been holding its own healthy active phases and there are times when the two appear to be in synch.
This morning was beautiful, in the mid-80s, mild breeze, dry and sunny. The sun hadn’t quite made it to the apiary yet, but the husbster was pressuring me to get on with it since he had other chores vying for my time and attention.
I did two things differently for this inspection.
- I used the disposable rubber gloves instead of the bulky leather gloves. I had heard on The Beekeeper’s Corner podcast that bees can’t sting through the gloves. And although they are used once and thrown away, they fit nice and snug on my small hands, making it much easier to handle the boxes and frames. They worked like a charm.
- Instead of a brush, I used a 12 inch clipping of mint brushing them away. Using a feather or a plant clipping to flick them aside is much more gentle on the bees.
I had checked their feed the night before and both buckets were completely empty. Being cooped up during all that rain made them hungry. So I whipped up a pot of 1:1 simple syrup using 4 quarts of sugar and 4 quarts of water. Divided between the two hives, they go through this much sugar syrup each week. Guess we’ll be heading back to Costco for another supersize bag o’ sugar!
GH1 is the hive that’s had me concerned from the beginning. If you remember from an earlier inspection, this one had the drone cells and later some small queen cells. Early on, this hive was extremely active, very crowded and I feared it might swarm. After adding the second brood box, they calmed down and became less active. They weren’t producing comb as quickly as YH2, and the top frames only contained a few bees. They’re doing well now, although still a good week or two behind YH2. I don’t know if something happened to the original queen and maybe they produced another queen, or if the other queen is still there. Whatever, it looks as though they’ve worked things out…I hope.
Opening the top box, the outside frames appeared untouched. The center frames had beautiful new white sugar syrup-filled cells and comb with nice capping. I looked and looked for eggs, but since it was still shady in that area, I couldn’t get the sun behind to help me out. I could tell there were many more bees in the top box than last time and they’d made considerable progress over the last two weeks. But it was evident that these girls weren’t ready for a new box yet.
I did want to pull a frame or two from the bottom box to see if I could find eggs and a queen. The bottom box was FILLED with bees and the outside frames were filled, which is great. So I pulled two frames from the center in attempt to find the queen. I didn’t find the queen, and as with the top box, I couldn’t see eggs. I did find some questionable comb that appeared kinda gray in color. The center frames are filled with dark, older comb. Not far down the road I will swap these for new frames. So that gives me two research projects – 1) what’s the gray comb all about? and 2) to swap old center frames for new ones.
GH1 bees were getting a little pissy at that point, so I closed it up and moved on to YH2.
I received a great tip from my bee supplier. He said if the bees build comb from the frames up to the top cover, then thats’s a good indication they’re ready for another box. When I opened YH2, I immediately saw comb built down from the top cover to the frames. I lifted off the top cover and could see how well the girls had drawn out the side frames. Bees work from the center out. So once the end frames are filled with comb and capping, they’re ready for more space to work.
Again, I looked for eggs and larvae but couldn’t see any. The bees are obviously multiplying. The frames were crowded and the bees looked happy and healthy, so much so that they weren’t even irritated by my presence. I didn’t bother looking in the bottom box. I just took all the signs as good indications that all is well in YH2.
So our apiary is a bit lopsided right now. I just hope YH2’s growth in stature doesn’t give GH1 a complex. Based on their post-inspection activity, I don’t think they’re giving it much thought. It’s not a race. The girls have all the time in the world to fill in their frames, at which point, GH1 will earn themselves a new box too.
So fly, forage and prosper ladies!