November 3-5, 2013
Last weekend was my last chance to add the escape board to Green Hive 1 (GH1) so I could shrink them down to 4 boxes before the consistent freezing temperatures set in. By reducing their space, the cluster will have less area to heat, enabling them to stay warmer throughout winter.
I’ve never used an escape board, but the guy on YouTube sure made it look easy. He inserted the escape board beneath the box to be emptied, triangle side down, and he closed off the entrance. The bees can move down through the board, but they can’t move back up. Within 24 hours, his top box was empty. What nice cooperative bees! Within 24 hours, my box was still full. Little buggers!
I’d love to attribute their stubborness to superior bee intelligence. However, my brilliant girls put me in a pickle.
- The weather immediately turned colder. Can’t work the hives when it’s cold;
- Daylight savings time meant coming home from work in the dark. Can’t work with bees in the dark; and
- Leaving a full box of honey stores unguarded by the bees is like sending the hive beetles and wax moths an open invitation to an all you can eat buffet.
The next morning, I was headed to work but decided to check the hives first. I lifted the lid and sure enough, they crawled down to cluster with the rest of the colony. Yay, the box was empty, but I had no time to remove it. I had to get to work! I put the top back on and left. Half way to work, I realized that I forgot to pull the cover back to block the top entrance. Ugh. Nothing is simple…ever, ever, ever. The box was empty, but I left them a big hole to crawl right back in. I blame middle-age and Mondays….
I couldn’t get home at lunch and I had plans that night, which meant the box would stay on for one more day (going on 72 hours now). I called the hubster who kindly covered the top entrance when he got home. After another night of freezing temps, I went up the following morning at the first sign of light and swiftly removed the box, replaced the escape board with the inner cover and put the top back on. Done! Like a pro! The box went into the freezer and off I went to work.
The good news is that with every completed new task comes a bit more beekeeping knowledge, and a bit more confidence that I didn’t have before. More baby steps, we’re just about ready for winter. I removed feeders from Yellow Hive 2 and Blue Hive 3. The girls are officially off of their liquid diets and will soon bee on the solid candy diet. Sometimes a bee’s life doesn’t sound so bad.