August 11, 2013 (Day 93) – Inspection
Last week we gave Yellow Hive 2 (YH2) a frame of brood from Green Hive 1 (GH1) and we added Beetle Blasters to help with the pest issues. So I had a few things to check on this week. YH2 has been inactive a docile this past week with few bees on the front stoop. GH1 likes to show off by going crazy nuts throughout the day. Complete opposites.
I didn’t need to do a full inspection on GH1. It’s easy to see that hive is doing well. It has tons of bees, they’re crazy active. During their active times, I see some side trekkers sneaking over and creeping around YH2. I suspect they’re looking to rob some of their coveted sugar syrup. I’ve seen some bees fighting and I’m glad YH2 is still defending itself fairly well. GH1 is also bringing in nice chunks of pollen. A great sign that things are still blooming.
I had put the box of drawn comb that was taken off YH2 into the freezer last week. I read that the best place to store drawn comb is on a strong hive, so GH1 is now 5 boxes tall. I may employ a step stool for changing the feeder bucket.
Both hives have been taking in about 3 gallons of sugar syrup a week. I can hardly keep up with them. I’m still feeding 1:1 sugar to water, but since stores are needed for upcoming winter months, I’m considering switching to 2:1 syrup soon.
I also found only 2 beetles in GH1’s Beetle Blaster. No other signs of beetles. GH1 is doing well all around!
YH2 still has quite a few bees. The top boxes are filled with bees feeding in both hives. YH2 consumes their share of syrup too. No hive beetles found in either trap. I was surprised since YH2 had the beetle issues. I did notice how well they had drawn the comb in Box 3 of YH2. Then I lifted it and holy moly it was heavy. They’re not producing brood, but at least they’re storing up for winter.
I pulled off box 2 and out ran about 10 beetles. I smooshed as many as I could, but those little buggers are fast! I hope they make their way to the top box. I will be ordering 2 of the bottom beetle trays since i think they will be most effective for trapping the beetles. I also moved one of the blasters to box 2.
I checked the frames in Box 2. Mostly dark empty comb. The drone population was heavy – a sign that workers, not the queen, have been reproducing. No sign of the queen. Same situation in Box 1. No queen, no brood, and no activity on the capped brood that I added to YH2 last week. Oh, and no queen cells. Nothing. I left them with another pollen patty, filled their feeder bucket and closed them back up.
I gave them ample opportunity to re-queen themselves. Natural is always the preference, as there is always risk involved with introducing an outside queen. But I need to intervene or their numbers will continue to dwindle and the hive will die.
Finding a queen locally is not easy. I ordered a new queen online from a Texas company called BeeWeaver Apiaries. They have their own strain of bees derived from the Buckfast bees. Supposedly they are easy to keep alive and they are very mite tolerant. I purchased her marked and clipped. I’m regretting having her clipped. At the time I ordered, the idea of having a queen that can’t fly away sounded good, and it only costs $1. But then my brain starts thinking it’s not natural (like declawing a cat), and then I start reading about how she can’t fly if they swarm, they chase her around the hive but she can’t go anywhere, and how the bees might think she’s injured and they may not accept her, yada, yada. Ok, no more research. I’ll just have to take extra precautions to keep them from swarming in the spring.
As usual, I’m learning by trial and error. Most experts tell you to re queen in the fall anyway, so $50 later ($30 for marked and clipped queen and 19.95 for USPS express shipping) I can understand why so many beekeepers decide to breed their own queens. Ugh, no one said this hobby would be cheap. I just hope it pays off and both hives make it through the winter.